Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Leyla, get back in your cell. Don't make me get the hose.

I glanced briefly at the prompt sheet in advance last week, and have stressed over this particular blog ever since. When asked for my favorite movie, I usually share a variety of my many, go-to flicks. Now that I must choose one that will forever remain in the blogosphere, I feel an enormous weight on my shoulders. However, after days of painstaking, internal debate, I have finally made a deicision. Based on nostalgia rating, quote-ability and overall viewer experience, the award for "Mairin's favorite movie" goes to "Mrs. Doubtfire." So sit back, relax, and enjoy my blog.

I find that most people have seen, or at least heard of this feature film. However, for reasons I still do not know, I have yet to find someone who shares a similar obsession. The plot revolves around Daniel Hilliard, a recent divorcee, who loses custody of his children to his high-strung ex-wife. In a desperate attempt to spend time with his children, Daniel impersonates an English caretaker known as Mrs. Iphegenia Doubtfire. Possible name of my future daughter. Now, the idea of a middle-aged man disguised as an elderly nanny may not sound like your typical scenario, but I find its obscurity and heart-felt moments unforgettable. "Mrs. Doubtfire" combines drama, family plight and desperation with love, laughter and tear-jerking moments. Often times I find myself showing this movie to my friends, hoping they will love it just as much as I do. I build up anticipation ("Wait for it! The next scene is funnier - I swear!"), but sometimes dissapoint. Nonetheless, I always laugh until my ribs hurt. Every time. Only while watching my favorite scene, however, does my laughter turn into core-working, calorie-burning howls. This scene consists of Daniel impersonating a number of incompetent Nannys on a phone interview with his ex-wife. In order to evoke here paranoia, he verbalizes every mother's nightmare. Nanny impersonation #1 seems to run quite smoothly, until he suddenly shrieks, "Layla, get back in your cell! Don't MAKE me get the hose." Nanny impersonation #2 casually asks the interviewer, "Are your kids well behaved? Or do they need like, a few light slams every now and then?" Just when you thought nothing could surpass "a few light slams," nanny impersonation #3 concludes with "I don't work with the males. 'Cause I used to be one." This moment may just resurface every time I reunite with my sisters - the only people with whom I share a mutual "Mrs. Doubtfire" obsession. Just in case you did not find these excerpts humorous, I attached the link so you could reconsider. Still, I suggest you watch the whole movie. Something about a man, disguised in a latex mask and bodysuit with cankles, makes for the perfect Friday night flick. It gets funnier- I swear.


2 comments:

  1. This movie has undoubtedly earned its place on my "top five movies" list. Like you, I find the obscurity of the movie absolutely hilarious. I think the unique plot, conflict, and resolution and the way the director intertwines them all works to make an ultimately unforgettable movie. I particularly enjoy subtle jabs and inappropriate remarks that Mrs. Doubtfire makes to his ex-wife's boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie nowadays would probably undergo scrutiny and become another one of those stupid and cliche movies that gets tossed into the doldrums of cheesy comedy. However, thanks to the brilliance of the actors, rather than copy an overdone plot like every Tyler Perry movie does today they set the bar. The director seemingly created a whole new original with "Mrs. Doubtfire" which personally, I find hilarious, always have, always will, a definite classic.

    ReplyDelete