Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Brace Face

I found it hard to imagine that I would see happiness ever again as the nurse pulled a tube from my stomach, through my esophagus, and out my nose. She smiled as she did this - for reasons I do not know - and I gave her a brusque grin afterwards to mimic her creepy satisfaction in this post-op routine. As soon as she left the room, I secretly berated her with stuffy murmurs from my immobilized mouth. My progressing jaw surgery recovery reminded me of what Andy Roony once said: "Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." While discussing his words in class, I agreed with his belief that fight itself yields happiness, rather than the eventual outcome. Only after spending thirty minutes to spoon half a Jell-O cup into my mouth, however, did I truly understand him. This relentless fight for gelatin represented an unmatched sense of accomplishment and pride, resulting in a slight victory murmur from behind my metal grill. Everyone experiences a rock bottom or some sort of personal crisis, and I believe no one should feel ashamed for it. In fact, I believe we should anticipate these lowest of lows. For without them, moments of joy would never truly surface. A positive attitude generally bears the best results in moments of strife, attempting to find the silver lining at the end of the burning tunnel or whatever. I tried this optimistic method for a few days and embraced my new chipmunk-esque look. But a week of massaging my swollen gums has taught me that sometimes, throwing a pity party and basking in self sorrow represents the most realistic approach. Still, whatever the outlook on my pathetic struggle, it has cleared the path for an unprecedented amount of gratitude. I used to despise my braces and resent my sacrifice of senior intimidation. Now, well, I still despise my braces. However, after experiencing the worst of my jaw reconstruction, I find myself thankful every day for this cosmetic opportunity. With every ice application to the yellow sores on my chin comes a greater anticipation for the day my orthodontist frees myself from brackets and wires. A more appreciating self will result from the ten-month long journey of braces and surgery, rather than the set of pearly whites at the end of the road. With every downfall comes a natural gratitude for the simpler things in life. Even if those things include solid foods.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mairin this is a extremely well written piece. I have to say I am extremely proud of you for coming to realize that in order to appreciate happiness one needs to recognize struggle. Your ten month road to a better jaw has made me understand that sacrifice only leads to success. I truly admire your positive outlook and ability to find humor in something physically painful.

    ReplyDelete