Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Grocery Bowl

I woke up on Super Bowl Sunday like a kid on Christmas morning. The highly anticipated advertising, great company, and Beyonce halftime show provided some excitement towards an otherwise dreary Sunday in the slums of February. Apart for a bunch of men running around in tight spandex, the Super Bowl would amount to nothing without a choleric buffet of hot wings and chili. Every year, my mom and I add to this selection of food with the simple, yet undeniable, pigs in a blanket. A true crowd pleaser. I set off for Hienen's after church that morning, aware of the hundreds of football fans that would do the same. I drove to the store with incentive. With determination. I turned on the radio to 102.1, tapping my fingers against the wheel to the guitar riff of 'Eye of the Tiger." I knew what awaited me. Extreme grocery shopping. The intensity picked up as I rolled into the parking lot, and a soccer mom in a Honda Odyssey immediately cut me off. I played musical chairs with the other parking-spot hopefuls for about ten minutes, weaving aimlessly through the lot. The Super Bowl shoppers and I exchanged ugly glances and angry honks in a steadfast competition for a spot. Only after entering Hienen's did I realize that parking the car was only half the battle. In the midst of this enormous pre-game crowd, I snagged a shopping cart, set my purse down, and set off for the first item on my list: Pillsbury cresents. I stopped for no one. Not even free samples. My first stop, refrigerated foods, could not seem more far away.  I hesitantly pushed my cart, trying to hide my anxiety and intimidation amongst the chaotic crowd of last minute hor d'oeuvre makers. I notice a middle-aged woman next to me, sporting a perm and a San Francisco 49'ers jersey - the same one who nearly initiated our fender bender in the parking lot. We exchanged a brusque grin after making eye contact, and continued on our way. After awkwardly walking side by side for the next few moments, we internally acknowledged that we shared a mutual goal: the crescents. What began as a leisurely stroll, quickly turned into a relentless race for the blanket of the pigs. By the time passed through produce, the electrifying chorus of "Eye of the Tiger" rang in my head, fueling the intensity. I grabbed the biscuits before she could say 'interference.' Mrs. Mini Van stood in disbelief as I smugly dropped the package in my cart. I won this battle. My extreme grocery shopping excursion did not stop there, however. This victory inspired me to seek out the final item on the list: mini hot dogs. I made my way towards the packaged meat aisle with a newfound confidence, lacking common curtesy by failing to move for other shoppers. I embarked on this journey for two ingredients, and two ingredients only. Upon arrival at the department of Lunchables and Oscar Meyer, I found an overwhelming display of hot dogs. Beads of sweat started to form as I glanced at the selection. Mini Franks, Lil Smokies, and BBQ Wieners. It was simply too much. I had to make a decision. Angry mobs approached the aisle as time ran out. I only had the offensive advantage for a few more moments. How could I choose? Then it hit me. I would buy all three. Touchdown! I quickly grabbed the dogs and threw them in my cart, just barely averting the tackle of determined shoppers. As I escaped the madness and strutted towards the checkout with my flakey rolls and assorted wieners, I swear I could hear Europe's "The Final Countdown" playing overhead. I had just wont the Grocery Bowl.

2 comments:

  1. Mairin, I particularly enjoyed this entry; however, I am quite offended since we spent the Super Bowl together and I did not lay eyes on these "pigs in a blanket". You must have eaten all of them on the way over to my abode or simply eaten them for breakfast. Anyway, I felt the same anxiety on Super Bowl Sunday as I too went to the grocery store. Lets just say you lucked out in only having two items on your grocery list compared to my thirty six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also experienced extreme grocery shopping. For example, on the day before Thanksgiving last year, I decided to go to the grocery store 30 minutes before it closed. We were planning to host Turkey Day for 20 people and I had to purchase every single item for dinner in thirty minutes. Although this experience felt very hectic, luckily, there were not many shoppers present. It was only me versus the clock.

    ReplyDelete