Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"Book" Club: Giddy women, Gossip and Gin.

Everybody talks. Including my mother. Right now, at this very moment, I attempt to experience a moment of solitude away from the howls of 50-year old women. Tonight, my mother hosts their monthly Book Club meeting: three hours of chatter, crab cake platters, and debates over poinsettias versus begonias.  Wether or not they actually discuss literature still remains a mystery. When I dare to descend from the safety of my bedroom, however, I can always count on hearing the latest gossip mixed with one or four glasses of pinot grigio. I secretly chuckle at their blemished gossip, trying to piece together the Police Blotter puzzle. I know all the juicy details, yet spare them my knowledge just so I can continue shaking my head. Upon my arrival in the living room, they frantically reach for their novels and assemble their reading glasses with shaking hands - desperately hoping to fool me. But behind those barely-turned pages and tortoise shell frames, lay the masterminds behind Chagrin Falls' very own Town Tattle. Their pathetic, middle-aged whispers remind me of the many New York tattlers in The Great Gatsby. Like Myrtle, Tom, and all the socialites in between, the members of my mother's Book Club tend to thrive on floating rumors. I grimace at their flawed information and unreliable sources. Just when I thought a discussion on 50 Shades of Grey amongst a group of empty-nesters could get any worse, their inner-middle schooler comes out to play. I find it quite cute, actually; the sparks of youth that surface from their laughter and gossip. I do not blame them and their hushed versions of "he said, she said," for I regularly partake in this talk as well. We, the Book Club members and myself, do not stray far from the shallow characters within Fitzgerald's novel. We can not control the scandalous information that comes our way, and naturally lack the sufficient discretion to prevent us from spreading it. Like those that attend Gatsby's parties, I observe the pepper-haired mothers exchange hearsay with eager eyes. Mouth's stuffed with olive tapenade and bleu cheese still have room to share hidden secrets.  I sympathize with their deficiency of willpower to withhold confidential information. When I look at this room of gossip-hungry individuals, I see myself and my friends. We, too, experience the consequences surrounding pre-conceived notions and conclusions. Even the trusting words, "do not tell anybody" can not compete to impulsive spilling of secrets. Wether you are a mother in the midst of a mid-life crisis, or a high schooler drowning in drama, rumors will always spread - no question about it. To gossip, or not to gossip? That presents the real question.

4 comments:

  1. I pity your experiences, but I do not think you can compete with the time I received an email detailing the "various props" people brought to my mother's book club's 50 Shades of Grey meeting. I still wince at the thought. Moreover, I strongly agree with your ideas of us all having a bit of the West Egg gossiper within us. I find it interesting that when taken out of the situation, most of us judge their whispers, but we really act no different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also must reluctantly agree with your claim that we all contain a bit of a gossiper in us; nevertheless, I also think we feel the urge to gossip because we live in a small, typically dull town in Northeastern Ohio. Boredom plagues us due to the lack of things to do, unlike the rich elite of New York City, who have all the money and time they need. They have everything they could ever want, which bores them, so they seek gossip to spice up their lives—hopefully affluent dullness will never identify us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think that people cast an unnecessary shadow on gossiping. We all partake, and most likely while we do so question the validity of our own statements. Human nature dictates the curiosity within us, and no one should deny themselves a healthy gossiping session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to fully understand the premise of gossip. Multiple people have tried to explain the concept, but my mind seems incapable. I think my problem stems from my inability to distinguish between gossip and criticism. While I may not know the semantics, I think I can make a logical argument for gossip: people feel better about themselves when they talk about other people. Somehow, the problems of others dampen personal problems.

    ReplyDelete