Tuesday, August 21, 2012

From iPhones to Nursing Homes


Oh, the joys of youth. Old enough for freedom, but young enough to avoid any real responsibility. Driving in the car, singing with the windows down, laughing with my friends. Nothing can stop us- at least until a pair of elderly pedestrians cross the street. I slam on the brakes and turn the music down. A hunched over woman shuffles across with the help of her grey-haired husband, after he takes a moment to adjust his hearing aid. This cute, yet pathetic image slaps my celebration of teenage freedom in the face. Right before me, my future. When does this happen? One day, a senior in high school. The next, a senior citizen with a discount at Bob Evans. The day will come, and I will not accept it graciously. The future frightens me, as well as the middle aged Bob and Jane Houlton in Elizabeth Strout's novel Olive Kitteridge. With her own golden days not far ahead, Strout addresses the scary and bittersweet tick tock of life. Published in 2008 with the middle aged baby boomers in mind, the author sees the world as a clock with love and hate for both the past and the future. And I could not agree more. After the first half-century of his existence passes by, Bob reveals "life picked up speed" (125). Strout utilizes this character's acknowledgement to put forth her assertion that life's moments accelerate before one has time to appreciate them. Although the days may often drag on, the years eventually begin to blur together. Human nature tends to either live in the past or obsess with the future, rather than focus on the present. What lies ahead holds expectations and uncertainties, for which Bob's wife admits "I'm scared of" (138). Completely emulating my own apprehension towards change, Jane serves as a synecdoche for those who also fear the future. Her direct characterization as 'scared' reveals the normality in anxiety for what succeeds the present. However, this woman still  believes "life was a gift" and that the small snapshots of life fly from one's fingers too quickly to grasp (126). This metaphor comparing life to a gift strongly supports the novel's theme regarding the beauty and privilege of life's small moments that many fail to appreciate. I contend with the author's view that although the concept of time and the inevitability of death may seem daunting, both are natural. Jane's gratitude for life indirectly characterizes her as optimistic, which allows Strout to offer a more accepting outlook on life and curb the fear of the unknown. The author encourages those who dread old age to keep an open mind and stray away from negative thoughts. I agree, and believe that the present deserves full attention, whereas the future should stay in the future. Those who struggle with the concept of passing time should try to visualize the positive and rewarding benefits of aging, rather than agonize about the inescapable. Anyways, my AARP days are still far, far away. 


4 comments:

  1. I agree that far too often we focus on things in the past and future rather than the present. Recently, I watched Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" which deals with longing for the past. In the end the main character, Gil, comes to the same conclusion as Jane: the present represents the best time period to live in. I think if we take the advice of Strout and Allen a lot of us could live happier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lauren that we could be happier if we reveled in the time period we lived in. Personally I have the issue of not living in the present, like Gil in the movie, I tend to fantasize about the times in the past when people lived, or times when I feel I would have belonged. Although it is important to realize we all have limited time and we should try to enjoy life every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though this book certainly carries a depressing theme with it, and portrays to young people the unfortunate inevitablity of growing up. For this reason, I agree with Mairin that we should spend more time focusing on the present, because the more we worry about our future, the less time we have to live happily. I think Strout indirectly incorporates this underlining message in her book. She identifies the hardships of growing old in order to express the importance in concentrating on the present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that people often forget to appreciate the present, but I actually view the Houltons as a more positive couple, at least compared to the rest of Strout's characters. They appreciate each other and accept old age pretty well despite their fear of death. I think the Houltons represent Strout's message throughout the novel that most importantly, people need love in their lives and then they can handle any fears they face, such as old age.

    ReplyDelete